Financial Aid
Getting Started Programs of Study About Temple College Student Resources Quick Links
TC >Types of Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grant

A Pell Grant is an award that does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are available to undergraduate students who do not have a bachelor's or professional degree (review for more information). The amount of a Pell Grant awarded will be based on financial need, cost of attendance, and enrollment status for each semester and each academic year. You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements at all times to be eligible.

The Pell Grant will assist as payment for tuition and fees, and books. Any remaining funds will be disbursed to the student via the TC One Card. Make sure your TC One Card has been activated.  

Please note your Pell Grant award may not cover all costs. It is your responsibility to make payment arrangements with the Cashier at the Cashier's Window or online with E-Cashier to pay any remaining balances.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

This award does not have to be paid back. This grant is awarded to those whose Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) is "0." The allocation for the SEOG grant is limited and is therefore awarded on a first-come first-served basis. This grant is usually awarded in increments of $500 per year. The SEOG grant is credited towards tuition, fees, and books. Any remaining funds will be disbursed to the student usually at the same time the PELL grants are disbursed.

Texas Grant (Toward Excellence, Access and Success)

  • Is a Texas resident
  • Graduated from a public or accredited private high school in Texas no earlier than fall 2004
  • Completed the recommended or advanced high school curriculum or its equivalent
  • Has financial need
  • Enrolls at least ¾-time (nine to 11 semester hours) in an undergraduate degree or certificate program as an entering undergraduate within 16 months of high school graduation and
  • Has not been convicted of a felony or crime involving a controlled substance.
WHO can compete for an award? A student who:
  • Meets the above requirements
  • Applies for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
How do I apply?
  • Complete the form Texas Grant Substance Form found under "Forms and Applications."

Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG)

State and institutional funds provide a very limited number of awards to students who find themselves in extreme financial conditions. Awards are determined by the Financial Aid Office and are not repaid. Recipients are allowed to charge tuition and fees or books for the amount of the grant at the time of registration. Although these funds are limited, students applying for other financial aid will automatically be considered for this program.

Work Programs

The Federal College Work Study and Local Student Assistant programs provide part-time employment for qualified students. Positions vary from clerical to lab assistants, and computer operations to lifeguards. Eligibility for Work Study is need-based. Students can work up to nineteen hours a week and are paid at least the current minimum wage as set forth by the Department of Labor (TC's rate is $6.75/hour). Students must maintain acceptable work habits in order to continue employment. Students must be enrolled at least half-time and must apply for financial aid. Applications for the Work Study positions are available in the Financial Aid Office. Students are paid on the last working day of each month.

College Access Loan Program

College Access Loan (CAL) is administered through the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. The CAL is designed to assist the college student whose family experiences difficulty in meeting the expected family contribution toward educational costs. Enrollment in an accredited public or nonprofit independent institution of higher education in Texas is required. The qualified student must be eligible to pay resident tuition and fees at public institution of higher education and must be enrolled on a nonprobationary basis. Borrowing through the program in successive years depends on the borrower’s academic progress and standing as determined by the institution of higher education in which the borrower is enrolled. Students apply on line ( Students should contact the Financial Aid Office to expedite their application.

Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS):

Temple College is currently participating in this program.

Short-term Loan Programs

Temple College has limited funds to provide immediate assistance for tuition and fees. These funds are made available through gifts contributed by individuals and organizations interested in Temple College and in the welfare of its students. The funds are used for emergency loans for payment of tuition, fees, or books and must be repaid during the term of enrollment so that the money may be continually circulated. Loan recipients will be charged a $10 fee. Loans are made only to students who have resources to make repayment reasonably certain. Allow at least seven days for processing. The maximum loan is $300.


Temple College offers scholarships through various departments of the College. Private donor scholaships are also available to students. See Scholarship section for more details.

Veterans Programs

For information on these programs, contact the Veterans Administration Office or the VA Counselor in the Advising Office either by Phone at 298-8311 or email: Students must also apply for Federal Financial Aid by completing the FAFSA.